Founded in 1938, Defender Industries is a family-owned, debt free, profit-sharing marine outfitter & supplier of quality brand-name boating equipment, supplies, accessories, apparel, inflatable boats & outboard motors for serious boaters worldwide via catalog, the internet at www.defender.com & throughout the Northeastern U.S. at the Defender Warehouse Outlet Store located at our headquarters in Waterford, Connecticut.
Our Staff of knowledgeable, experienced boaters – sail & power – are backed up with a huge inventory of over 25,000 items available for immediate purchase or shipment.
After over 75 years of delivering real value & Customer service to real boaters, we know that it’s the quality of our people that make us successful & sets Defender apart from our Competitors.
Defender is proud to be able to offer the following opportunities for qualified individuals. Click on a link below to see more information about an available position.
Equal Employment Opportunity
It is Defenders policy to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to individual's sex, sexual orientation, race, color, personal appearance, gender, gender identity or expression, marital status, civil union status, national origin, ancestry, religion, age, physical disability or mental retardation. This policy applies to all areas of employment, including recruitment, hiring, training, and development, promotion, transfer, termination, layoff, compensation and all other conditions and privileges of employment in accordance with applicable federal and state laws. We are fully committed to this principle and to obtaining the cooperation and understanding of this effort by all of our employees.
General Summary: In addition to boat and outboard service, this individual will work with others for after sales support and be available to assist in the carrying out of miscellaneous duties as outlined, but not limited to the outline below.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain and assist in organization of service area
- Inspection of boats and motors as they are received
- Troubleshoot and repair boats & engines for customers and dealer stock under warranty (Or not under warranty)
- Produce proper paperwork for paid repairs and submit warranty claims including follow up and customer contact
- Run engines that require PDI’s before delivery for customers
- Set up trailers to match boats
- Assist with Rigging jobs when required
- Handle service inquiries in the store, on the phone or in person
- Answer employee questions from call center and the store
- Go to various schooling as required for certification purposes to learn more about the product and mechanics when and if offered
- Assist in store retail sales if needed
- Work Saturdays during busy season as required
- Miscellaneous duties as needed to help Defender achieve their mission statement, (Warehouse sale, boat shows) which may mean being “lent” to another department, or Extended hours during the busy season
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Ability to follow procedure with attention to detail
- Ability to prioritize and meet deadlines
- Ability to communicate with customers in a professional manner
- Knowledge of safety procedures
- Knowledge of material moving including but not limited to, forklift operation
- Knowledge of small outboard mechanics
- Knowledge of Inflatable boats
- Knowledge of inflatable boat repair
Education and Experience: High School Diploma or equivalent, boating experience needed
Defender needs a few experienced Boaters with knowledge of boating equipment, supplies, & accessories to join our successful team in various positions. Get paid for sharing all you've learned about your sail or power boats while working with other boaters. Plus - EMPLOYEE DISCOUNTS on all the stuff you want for YOUR BOAT. Flexible hours, part-time, full-time, or seasonal.