Factory Warranty Begins on Date of Purchase.
Dual channel receive capability - The ICOM MXA-5000 AIS Receiver receives both Ch. 87B (161.975MHz) and Ch. 88B (162.025MHz) simultaneously. This dual channel receive makes the MXA-5000 more flexible for obtaining AIS information from AIS transponders that operate on only one channel. In addition, the MXA-5000 also receives both Class A and Class B AIS data.
Dual mode data output - The MXA-5000 has two data output. One is RS-422 for connection with equipment such as marine radar or GPS chart plotter. Those equipments which accept the VDM sentence format will show the AIS data on the display. The second is RS-232C for PC connection. When using with AIS plotter software (Not supplied by ICOM - Sold separately), the MXA-5000 allows you to monitor other vessel traffic on your PC.
Built-in antenna splitter to share one antenna - The MXA-5000 can be installed between a VHF antenna and a VHF radio. While receiving a VHF radio signal*, the MXA-5000 receives AIS data. When you transmit from the connected VHF radio, the Tx signal bypasses the MXA-5000 to protect the internal circuit. (*Insertion loss : approx. 3.5dB )
- Icom's MXA-5000 outputs AIS data using the NMEA 0183 format for easy connectivity to most radars, chart plotters, and navigation systems
- The MXA-5000 receives both Class A and Class B signals simultaneously
- Its full duplex receiver allows for easy and efficient handling of the information without missing critical data
- The MXA-5000 has a built in antenna splitter
- No need for more antennas onboard, or to buy expensive aftermarket splitters
- The MXA-5000 splits the input signal for RX and protects itself when the radio transmits
- Overlay of AIS information on multifunction displays, chart plotters, or radars
- GPS data input port for multiplexing GPS and AIS Data
- AIS tracking increases your navigational awareness in any weather conditions including dense fog, darkness, and heavily trafficked waterways
GPS data multiplex - When connected a GPS receiver to the MXA-5000, GPS position information such as RMC, GGA, GNS and GLL formats can be multiplexed with AIS data (VDM format) and simplifies wiring.
Compact size and light weight body - The MXA-5000 is only 132W×34H×155D mm and weighs only 400g for easy and flexible installation.
What is AIS? - Icom's MXA-5000 AIS (Automatic Identification System) receiver will pick up real- time transmissions from vessels that use an AIS transporter. Such transponders are now required for SOLAS vessels by SOLAS regulations.
The AIS transponder sends accurate navigation information such as:
- Static information — vessel call sign, name MMSI number, dimensions and type
- Voyage-related information — draft, cargo type, destination and estimated time of arrival
- Dynamic information — time in universal time, coordinated, latitude/longitude position, course over ground, speed over ground, heading, rate of turn and navigational status
| Frequency coverage || 161.975 MHz (Ch 87B) |
168.025 MHz (Ch 88B)
| Receive emission designator ||16KOFD (GMSK) |
| Antenna impedence || 50Ω |
|Useable temperature range || -20°C to +60°C |
-4°F to +140°F
| Power supply requirement || 12.0V DC (10.8 - 15.6V) |
| Current drain || 0.25A |
| Weight (approx.) |
Mounting brackets attached
|400g; 14.1oz |
| Sensitivity || |
- 116dBm typ.
| Adjacent Ch selectivity || More than 70dB |
More than 70dB
| Intermodulation || More than 64dB |
| Hum ad noise ratio || More than 40dB |
Conducted spurious emissions
| Less than -57dBm |
|Data input interface |
|IEC 61162-1:2000 (4,800bps) |
RMC, GGA, GNS, GLL
Less than 2mA (when 2V applied)
|Data output interface |
To navigation equipment
|IEC 61162-2 (38, 400bps) |
5V, 40mA Max.
±5V, ±35mA typical
All stated specifications are subject to change without notice or obligation. Measurements are made in accordance with IEC 62287-1.