Defender Employment Opportunities
Defender is a debt-free, family-owned marine outfitter located in Waterford, CT, in business for 80 years. We strive to maintain an excellent reputation as a multichannel retailer of boating equipment and supplies, inflatable boats / outboard motors, and earn the trust and loyalty of boaters around the world. Our Mission is to be the marine outfitter of choice, offering the widest selection of products at the most competitive prices, and providing only the best customer service.
Our valued employees have hundreds of years of combined boating experience and are committed to earning our customers’ trust and respect by offering friendly service, ongoing support, and of course - great value.
Defender Employees enjoy a broad benefit package including Medical, Dental and Life Insurance, 401(k), Profit Sharing, paid vacation and holidays, and very generous Employee merchandise discounts. If you take pride in your work and enjoy a fast-paced and pleasant environment where the focus on Customers begins with delivering honesty and real value to serious boaters, please submit your resume for further consideration.
We have an excellent career opportunity for an experienced Category Manager / Buyer in our Purchasing Department. You will be responsible for all activities pertaining to the life cycle management of products to be offered for sale by the company.
- Manage a set of vendors within assigned product lines: negotiate pricing, terms, delivery, seasonal programs, promotional support (co-op, boat shows, warehouse sale, giveaways, etc.) and training for associates.
- In collaboration with Sales/Marketing:
- Analyze and select category specific products for sale
- Develop strategy for advertising, catalog development, sales promotions, and market focus.
- Manage product pricing in order to maximize sales and margin contribution.
- Manage the purchase of inventory to maximize turns and customer service levels.
- Ensure product data, in collaboration with Product Information Management and E-Commerce, meets the needs of internal and external customers.
- Manage product “end of life” through vendor returns/trades, markdowns, special promotions, and clearance.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 3-5 years’ experience in product retail management or buying in a marine environment
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office with proficiency in Excel
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to make sound decisions
- Strong negotiation skills and proven ability to build strong relationships with internal business partners as well as external vendors
- Excellent interpersonal skills required with effective skills in conflict resolution.
- Accuracy and timeliness are critical; must be able to work with frequent interruptions in a fast paced environment
- Boating experience preferred
to submit your résumé online
We have an immediate opening for a Marine Electronics Specialist in our Retail Store where you'll establish and provide high standards in customer relations and product knowledge.
In this highly visible position you will:
- Provide purchase advice and technical support to customers
- Maintain knowledge of new electronics’ products and current marketing
- Maintain inventory and product merchandising standards
- Participate in and conduct product training for other sales' staff
- Assist purchasing in marketing and in maintaining electronic merchandise store displays
- Take orders for customers for out-of-stock items or those not normally carried in stock
- Maintain a vigilant security watch on store merchandise as well as customer safety
Your experience must include:
- 3-5 year's marine electronics’ experience, preferably in a retail setting
- HS Degree or equivalent
- Knowledge of marine electrical (a plus)
- Solid computer skills and familiarity with Microsoft Office
- Strong attention to detail, excellent interpersonal and organizational skills
- Ability to work in a fast paced work environment
to submit your résumé online
Equal Employment Opportunity
DEFENDER INDUSTRIES is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunities
and does not discriminate against applicants or employees on the basic of race, color, religion, creed, age, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, veteran status or any other recognized protected basis under federal, state or local law. Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to reasonable accommodation under applicable federal and state law. A reasonable accommodation refers to a change in the way things are normally done, which will ensure an equal employment opportunity without imposing an undo hardship on Defender Industries. Please contact Human Resources if you need assistance in completing any forms or otherwise participating in the application process.
Please direct all employment inquiries to Human Resources.