Awlgrip Polyester Urethane Topcoat Base - Oyster White High Gloss - Quart
This product ships ground only
For years, serious boat owners have demanded Awlgrip coatings systems to protect their valuable investments from harsh marine elements. Awlgrip provides a durable high gloss finish to wood, fiberglass, aluminum or steel and can be applied with a roller, brush or spray gun. With its superior resistance to sun, saltwater, chemicals and abrasion, Awlgrip is ideal for coating everything from topsides, cabin tops, decks and masts to engines.
- Long lasting; high gloss
- Superior resistance to sun, saltwater, chemicals and abrasion
- Appropriate for use on fiberglass, steel and wood
- Low maintenance
- Above the waterline use only
- Available in quarts and gallons
- Custom colors available
*** Recomended for Professional use only***
Application Equipment Conventional atomized spray, HVLP spray, brush, or roller.
Surface Preparation Awlgrip colors should be applied over properly prepared 545 primer or in brush/roller applications Awl-Quik primer. Awl-grip high gloss G3005 can be applied over dark colors which have been sanded with 320-400 grit paper. Do not apply 3005 over white or pastel colors, or to bare wood.
Mixing and Reduction
Spray Mix one part Topcoat Base Component with one part Awl Cat #2 G3010 spray converter to a smooth, homogenous mixture. Reduce up to 25% with spray reducers appropriate for conditions. Overall mix is 1:1 1/2 by volume. 25% reduction is a standard mix. Clear coats, metallic colors, and painting in high temperatures may require additional reduction. 40% is maximum.
Roller/Brush Mix 2 parts Awlgrip Topcoat Base Component with one part Awl Cat #3/H3002 brushing converter until one smooth homogenous mixture is obtained. Reduce 25-33% with T0031. Overall mixture is 2:1:3/4-1 by volume.
Application Instructions General: Sanded surface must be dry and clean. Achieveing maximum gloss and distinction of image requires the primer be smooth sanded with 220-320 grit paper before topcoat application. Using a contrasting mist coat of lacquer primer as a "guide coat" is recommended. Smooth sanding until all of the guide coat is removed yields a texture free surface. Two to three coats are recommended for spray applications. Brush/roller applications require two coats. Regardless of application method 2 coats is the minimum. Topcoating cannot be done in one coat.
Spray Applications: Apply a light, smooth, slightly wet tack coat to the surface. Allow tack coat to "flash off" 30 to 45 minutes. Then apply a full, wet coat to achieve color coverage and film thickness requirements. If preferred, 3 coats may be used. Allow second coat to "flash off" 30 to 45 minutes until only slightly tacky before applying third coat. In three coat applications, coats two and three not "full, wet" coats. The second coat is a slightly heavy tack coat with the third coat just wet enough to obtain full hide or color coverage.
Brush/Roller Application: Apply Awlgrip Topcoat in two coats of 1.5 to 2.5 mils WFT each. Allow 16 hrs between each coat. Sanding between coats with 280 to 400 grit paper will provide a smoother finish. On large surfaces such as hull sides, transoms, and house sides, first roll the Awlgrip Topcoat and then smooth the roller stipple by lightly tipping the surface with a brush. This can be done with 2 painters working side by side or with 1 painter rolling approx 6 sq ft and then tipping that area before rolling any further. Do not apply paint materials to surfaces warmer than 105 F or colder than 55 F. Do not attempt to cure products at temperatures below 55 F.
- Spray Application: 530 Sq. Feet at 1 mil dry film thickness. 210 Sq. Feet at recommended dry film thickness.
- Recommended Wet Film Thickness: 6-9 mils (150-225 microns), total of 2-3 coats.
- Recommended Dry Film Thickness: 2-3 mils (50-75 microns), total of 2-3 coats.
- Type: 2 part liner aliphatic polyester polyurethane
- Coverage calculations are based on reducing 25% and on a theoretical transfer efficiency of 100%. Actual coverage rate may vary with equipment choice, application technique, parts size etc.
- Anticipated cure time at 77 F and 50% relative humidity is 24 hrs to tape free, 3 days to light service, 14 days for full cure
- Brush/Roller Application: 700-725 sq ft at 1 mil/25 microns dry, 285 sq ft at recommended dry film thickness.
- Recommended wet film thickness: 4.5-6 mils (112-150 microns), 2 coats.
- Recommended dry film thickness: 2-3 mils (50-75 microns), 2 coats.
- Recoatability: Spray applications consist of 2-3 coats over 1-4 hrs. Time will vary wth temperature, size, and film thickness applied.
- VOC: Base 470 g/lt (3.9 lbs/gal). Spray Converter 591 glt (4.9 lbs/gal). Brush Converter 276 g/lt or 2.3 lbs/gal
Item #: 754243
Item #: 750938
Item #: 750939