ATN Gale Sail
Shipping weight reflects calculated Dimensional Weight and is not actual product weight - see here for details.
The patented Gale Sail from ATN, Inc. is the safest and easiest way to hoist a storm jib in storm conditions.
- High visibility Safety orange is now used for the body of the Gail Sail
- Manufactured with Storm Orange Dacron, to satisfy the latest ISAF OSR 14.26.2 (a)
- Oversized piston hanks PLUS webbed grommets for easier hoisting
- It eliminates the need for a removable headstay.
- It eliminates the dangerous job of unfurling, dropping and stowing away the furled working sail to free up the roller furler in windy conditions to hoist the conventional jib.
- Since it is hoisted over the furled headsail, the Gale Sail prevents any dangerous accidental unfurling.
- No transformations or alterations of the rig are needed. The Gale Sail is ready to be hoisted immediately.
- The Gale sail, since it is hoisted over the very stiff roller furled sail, has a great aerodynamic shape, much better than a conventional storm jib hanked on a removable headstay, or a partially furled
- sail, which most of the time has not been designed or built for that purpose. Also, not all roller furlers are built to reef.
- The Gale Sail slides up and down amazingly well because Dacron slides over itself very well. The next time you walk over a folded sail on deck, take notice of how slippery it is.
- It can be hoisted with the spinnaker halyard or spare jib halyard.
- It requires less halyard tension than a conventional storm jib would need since its luff (pouch) is supported by the wide forward part of the roller furled sail. By the same token, chafing is not a problem since the Gale Sail is riding on a large area. Chafing is a problem when a lot of pressure is on a small area, not when it is spread over a large surface.
- The Gale Sail is not a new, untested product. It has been sold in Europe for over 8 years.
- It is possible to retrofit a conventional storm jib onto a Gale Sail.
- The Gale Sail is part of the Cover Sail patent, from Europe's well known inventor Axel Lage.
Available Gale Sail Models:
Square Feet: 30
Boat Length: Less than 27'
Square Feet: 60
Boat Length: 28' to 35'
Square Feet: 100
Boat Length: 36' to 43'
Square Feet: 150
Boat Length: 44' to 52'
Square Feet: 200
Boat Length: 53' to 60'
Item #: 551344SA-018
Item #: 612378
Item #: 612384
Item #: 612385