Awlgrip 545 Epoxy Primer Converter - Quart
This product ships ground only
Awlgrip Converter for the 545 Epoxy 2 Part Primer System is one part of a two part system, (D3001), used with gray or white Primer Base. This is the catalyst that is mixed with the base before applying Awlgrip or Awlcraft 2000 topcoats on aluminum, steel, fiberglass, or wood substrates. It may be used above or below the waterline.
- Catalyst for Awlgrip 545 Epoxy Primer system
- May be applied by spray, brush, or roller
- May be used above or below the waterline
Note:This multi-component system is intended for experienced painters. Please read mixing and application instructions thoroughly prior to starting project to ensure best results.
- Aluminum: Sandblast or grind to 100% clean silver color or treat with Alumiprep 33 or Alodine 1201
- Steel: Sandblast/grind SSPC-SP5-85 or Sa 2 1/2
- Gelcoat/Fiberglass: Sand with 100-150 grit paper
- Wood: Smooth sand with 80-100 grit paper.
Mixing and Reduction
Spray: Mix by volume one part 545 base with one part D3001 to a smooth homogenous mixture. Reduce up to 25% with T0003. Overall mix is 1:1 1/2 by volume. Example: 8 oz. 545 base, 8 oz. D3001, 4 oz. T0006.
Warning: Do not apply paint materials to surfaces less than 3° C or 5° F above dew point or to surfaces warmer than 41° C or 105° F. Ambient temp should be a minimum 13° C / 55° F and max 41° C or 105° F.
Base & Converter Combined Specifications:
- Type: Catalyst for epoxy polyamide base
- Size: 1 Quart
- Theoretical Coverage (Sq. Feet/Gallon)
- 298 sq. ft. at one mil dry
- 198-496 sq. ft. at recommended dry film thickness
- Calculated for mixed base and converter reduced 50%
- Coverage calculations are based on theoretical transfer efficiency of 100%
- Actual coverage rate obtained will vary according to equipment choice, application techniques, part size, and environment
- Recommended Wet Film Thickness: 7-10 mils (175-250 microns)
- Recommended Dry Film Thickness: 2-3 mils (50-75 microns)
- Application Methods: Sprayer, roller, or brush
- Number of Coats: 3
- Recoating Times:
- At 77° F / 50% R.H., minimum 2-4 hours
- Maximum window without sanding: 24 hours
- Sanding before overcoating with other products is recommended
- May be overcoated with AWLGRIP/AWLCRAFT 2000 Topcoats, 545 Epoxy Primer, High Build Epoxy Primer, AWL-QUIK Sanding Surfacer, and ULTRA-BUILD Epoxy Primer
- VOC: White Base - 435 g/lt or 3.6 lbs./gal. Converter 616 g/lt or 5.1 lbs./gal
Item #: 751369
Item #: 990054