Awlgrip Polyester Urethane Topcoat Base - Snow White High Gloss - Gallon
Note: This item will ship when available.
This product ships ground only
For years, serious boat owners have demanded Awlgrip coatings systems to protect their valuable investments from harsh marine elements. The Snow White, high gloss Awlgrip Polyester Urethane Topcoat Base (G8044) is a two component, polyester based, light-fast, linear aliphatic polyurethane coating. It provides a durable high gloss finish to wood, fiberglass, aluminum or steel and can be applied with a roller, brush or spray gun. With its superior resistance to sun, saltwater, chemicals and abrasion, Awlgrip is ideal for coating everything from topsides, cabin tops, decks and masts to engines. This product is not to be used below the waterline.
- Super Jet Black color
- May be applied with a sprayer, roller or brush with proper converter
- Long lasting, high gloss
- Superior resistance to sun, saltwater, chemicals and abrasion
- Appropriate for use on fiberglass, steel and wood
- Low maintenance
- Not to be used below the waterline
Note: This multi-component system is intended for experienced painters. Please read mixing and application instructions thoroughly prior to starting project to ensure best results.
Conventional atomized spray, HVLP spray, brush, or roller.
Awlgrip colors should be applied over properly prepared 545 primer or in brush/roller applications Awl-Quik primer. Awl-grip high gloss G3005 can be applied over dark colors which have been sanded with 320-400 grit paper. Do not apply 3005 over white or pastel colors, or to bare wood.
Mixing and Reduction
Spray: Mix one part Topcoat Base Component with one part Awl Cat #2 G3010 spray converter to a smooth, homogenous mixture. Reduce up to 25% with spray reducers appropriate for conditions. Overall mix is 1:1 1/2 by volume. 25% reduction is a standard mix. Clear coats, metallic colors, and painting in high temperatures may require additional reduction. 40% is maximum.
Roller/Brush: Mix 2 parts Awlgrip Topcoat Base Component with one part Awl Cat #3 H3002 brushing converter until one smooth homogenous mixture is obtained. Reduce 25-33% with T0031. Overall mixture is 2:1:3/4-1 by volume.
Application Instructions (General)
Sanded surface must be dry and clean. Achieving maximum gloss and distinction of image requires the primer be smooth sanded with 220-320 grit paper before topcoat application. Using a contrasting mist coat of lacquer primer as a "guide coat" is recommended. Smooth sanding until all of the guide coat is removed yields a texture free surface. Two to three coats are recommended for spray applications. Brush/roller applications require two coats. Regardless of application method 2 coats is the minimum. Top coating cannot be done in one coat.
Apply a light, smooth, slightly wet tack coat to the surface. Allow tack coat to "flash off" 30 to 45 minutes. Then apply a full, wet coat to achieve color coverage and film thickness requirements. If preferred, 3 coats may be used. Allow second coat to "flash off" 30 to 45 minutes until only slightly tacky before applying third coat. In three coat applications, coats two and three not "full, wet" coats. The second coat is a slightly heavy tack coat with the third coat just wet enough to obtain full hide or color coverage.
Apply Awlgrip Topcoat in two coats of 1.5 to 2.5 mils WFT each. Allow 16 hrs. between each coat. Sanding between coats with 280 to 400 grit paper will provide a smoother finish. On large surfaces such as hull sides, transoms, and house sides, first roll the Awlgrip Topcoat and then smooth the roller stipple by lightly tipping the surface with a brush. This can be done with 2 painters working side by side or with 1 painter rolling approx. 6 sq. ft. and then tipping that area before rolling any further. Do not apply paint materials to surfaces warmer than 105° F or colder than 55° F. Do not attempt to cure products at temperatures below 55° F.
- Color: Snow White, high gloss
- Type: 2-part liner aliphatic polyester polyurethane
- Size: 1 gallon
- Theoretical Coverage (sq. ft./gallon)
- Spray Application:
- 530 sq. ft. at one mil dry film thickness
- 210 sq. ft. at recommended dry film thickness with 2 - 3 coats
- Recommended Wet Film Thickness: 6-9 mils (150-225 microns), total of 2-3 coats
- Recommended Dry Film Thickness: 2-3 mils (50-75 microns), total of 2-3 coats
- Brush / Roller Application:
- 700-725 sq. ft. at one mil dry film thickness
- 285 sq. ft. at recommended dry film thickness with 2 - 3 coats
- Recommended Wet Film Thickness: 4.5-6 mils (112-150 microns), 2 coats
- Recommended Dry Film Thickness: 2-3 mils (50-75 microns), 2 coats
- Coverage calculations are based on
- Reducing 25%
- Theoretical transfer efficiency of 100%
- Actual coverage rate obtained will vary according to equipment choice, application techniques, part size, and environment
- Anticipated cure time at 77° F and 50% relative humidity
- 24 hrs. to tape free
- 3 days to light service
- 14 days for full cure
- Spray applications consist of 2-3 coats over 1-4 hrs.
- Brush/roller applications require 16 hrs. between each coat with sanding between coats
- Time will vary with temperature, size, and film thickness applied
- Base: 470 g/lt (3.9 lbs./gal)
- Spray Converter: 591 g/lt (4.9 lbs./gal)
- Brush Converter: 276 g/lt (2.3 lbs./gal)