Forespar Lightning Master Static Dissipator
- Lightning Master Static Dissipaters lower the exposure to a direct lightning strike by controlling the conditions which trigger direct strikes
- They reduce the buildup of static ground charge and retard the formation of the ion streamers, which complete the path for a lightning strike
- The dissipater employs the point-discharge principal to continually leak off the lightning causing ground potential in low amperage dissipation over a long period of time instead of the short duration, high amperage discharge occurring with a lightning strike.
- This is the same technology from the same manufacturer which is successfully employed to protect commercial broadcast and television towers from direct lightning strikes
- Forespar does not claim that this product is 100% effective in preventing a lightning strike
- At the present collective level of understanding of the lightning phenomenon, no one can make that claim
- This product, however, does control the causes of lightning strikes and thereby reduces the incidence of direct strikes
* Marine News: Lightning strikes a boat in Wisconsin and the boat sinks in less than an hour......
On Wednesday, June 8th, 2011 as the sailboat fleets made their way in from the evening races, they were glad to beat the thunderstorm that was coming in from the west. Just at dusk, eye witnesses saw a lightning bolt hit a 30 ft ketch swinging on a mooring in McKinley harbor, downtown Milwaukee. " It lit up like a Christmas tree" was how one observer described the event. Within an hour the boat was under water with just portions of the masts showing.
How could Forespar products have helped prevent this disaster?
First, a Lightning Master Ion Dissipater at the top of each mast would have lowered the exposure to a lightning strike by controlling the conditions which trigger direct strikes by reducing the buildup of the static ground charge and retards the formation of the ion "streamers" that complete the path for a lightning strike.
Second, if Marelon valves and thru-hulls, being non-conductive, had been used, the hole that was made below the water line probably would not have happened as the bronze thru hull was punched through the boat by lightning
Challenge Polyester Spreader Patch Tape
Item #: 612627
ATN Mastclimber Bosun Chair
Item #: 614392
Plastimo Bosun Chair Comfort Model
Item #: 615023